Timothy Ferris talks fast and thinks big. He’s a real reach for the stars kind of guy. This book is highly motivating in terms of thinking without limits, thinking bigger and bolder than you’ve ever thought before and daring to squash any limiting belief daring to thwart your life approach. He reiterates the necessity to abolish the traditional view of retirement as something to wait until you’re too old to enjoy and instead to pepper life right now with masses of mini retirements. Work anywhere, break frequently and maximise new pursuits. This is a real work smarter not harder bible and it has changed my view on how I intend to seize the next 6 months, year and 10 years in fact. Very much about living life NOW! My criticism is that Tim arrogantly assumes work is just to generate income rather than being a joyful part of life. I would argue that meaning, purpose and happiness in life only comes when work brilliantly releases the creativity and passion that exists in all of us. I don’t want to work a 4 hour work week! By the end of the book I was tired of Tim and his ego. He is very, very smart, but not kind enough for my liking. That said I have since dipped into his podcasts and other books and he’s definitely a man of the moment with fresh perspectives on modern ways of embracing a more fluid work/life balance so do try him out for yourself.
Official Book Blurb for The 4-Hour Work Week: Escape the 9-5, Live Anywhere and Join the New Rich by Timothy Ferris
A new, updated and expanded edition of this New York Times bestseller on how to reconstruct your life so it's not all about work
Forget the old concept of retirement and the rest of the deferred-life plan - there is no need to wait and every reason not to, especially in unpredictable economic times. Whether your dream is escaping the rat race, experiencing high-end world travel, earning a monthly five-figure income with zero management, or just living more and working less, this book is the blueprint.
This step-by step guide to luxury lifestyle design teaches:
* How Tim went from $40,000 dollars per year and 80 hours per week to $40,000 per MONTH and 4 hours per week
* How to outsource your life to overseas virtual assistants for $5 per hour and do whatever you want
* How blue-chip escape artists travel the world without quitting their jobs
* How to eliminate 50% of your work in 48 hours using the principles of a forgotten Italian economist
* How to trade a long-haul career for short work bursts and frequent 'mini-retirements'.
This new updated and expanded edition includes:
More than 50 practical tips and case studies from readers (including families) who have doubled their income, overcome common sticking points, and reinvented themselves using the original book as a starting point
* Real-world templates you can copy for eliminating email, negotiating with bosses and clients, or getting a private chef for less than £5 a meal
* How lifestyle design principles can be suited to unpredictable economic times
* The latest tools and tricks, as well as high-tech shortcuts, for living like a diplomat or millionaire without being either.